In the present world of global Pop Literature, YA (Young Adult) genre is one of the fastest growing genres in respect to public popularity. And to one’s surprise, it has been found through extensive research that 55% of the readers of this genre are adults. Yes, the adults enjoy them as much as (or maybe just a bit more than) their young adult counterparts.
Research Source: The Guardian
In general terms, Young Adult or YA literary genre is described as fiction written for, published for, or marketed to adolescents and young adults, roughly ages 13 to 18. Young-adult fiction, whether in the form of novels or short stories, has distinct attributes that distinguish it from the other age categories of fiction. The vast majority of YA stories portray an adolescent as the protagonist, rather than an adult or a child. The subject matter and story lines are typically consistent with the age and experience of the main character, but beyond that YA stories span the entire spectrum of fiction genres.
Definition Source: Goodreads
But then the quest remains that if YA is mainly for the young adults, then why do adults have such a strong liking for it?
According to us, these are some of the probable reasons:
- YA books are extremely entertaining; With intriguing plots, compelling characters, exotic worlds, dreamy and swoon-worthy romances, complicated situations and obstacles, everyone gets attracted to them, adults and teens alike.
- YA books have a more simple, personal approach compared to the adult books. Hence, the characters in YA are more relatable than in adult novels.
- Reading is a hobby, a passion.
Why do we tend to inculcate hobbies alongside our careers? It is to get respite from the monotony and struggles of life. We need regular escapes from reality to deal with it without losing our minds. Adult novels, since they are meant for adults, are based on bare reality, but YA books tend to deal with reality in a different and more enjoyable way – through fantasy, make-believe, magical realism and the likes. Hence, YA books are better portals of escape and leisure than adult novels.
- In both YA and adult books, the characters are seen tackling the most serious situations and circumstances, the main difference is that YA books present them in a very hopeful way even if there isn’t a happy ending. This hope itself is enough for anyone to prefer YA over nay other genres.
- Another reason why adults prefer YA genre is that YA books are great for those nostalgic phases that adults often crave for. The reminiscences of those happier days where one has no care for the world, one can be as reckless as they wish to be without any sense of consequence and those years of learning things every day; adults love that feeling, especially those who don’t actually want to grow up and accept the boring, stressful worldly life.
- Lastly, isn’t it fun to be able to read what your children or younger siblings and cousins are reading? There are parents who are now reading the Harry Potter series to their children so that the kids can know the world their parents love living in when they are not being a parent.
The reasons for loving YA over other genres are endless and we’d love to hear some of yours that we missed out. Please feel free to share with us why do you love reading YA.